Coordinator - Pika Wiya Nurse Training
How would you explain racism?
- It can effect everyone
- Bad things
- Hurt full
- Can effect people in different ways
- Led to illness
- Want to give up
Can you give me any ideas on how you can stop racism?
- Becoming friends with people from different cultures
What does Cultural Awareness do?
- When you tell another culture about what Aboriginals
do, how they live and be creative.
Have you ever experienced racism?
- Yes - when I was going to university, but I kept
going and didn't give up because they're the one
with the problem in the end.
How did it make you feel?
- left out
- it makes you want to give up (don't give up)
- upsetting, could make you cry.
What did you do about it?
- I got support from lecturers, family and friends.
What part of Pika Wiya do you work in?
- The Pika Wiya Learning Centre
What do you do?
- I'm a coordinator and I train Aboriginal
people to be nurses and health workers.
What are some ideas you have to help stop racism?
- Cultural Awareness - making non Aboriginals aware of Aboriginal
- making an effort to make friends with people from other races.